Lets talk about the “Fakers!” I once was a Splenda/Stevia Beliver Faker Supporter! Back in 2007, while working at St Vincents Hospital as an RN, you wouldn’t catch me without 2 Splendas per coffee x 3 coffees a shift. Not to mention the Splenda’s in my purse, locker, and apartment. My sister actually told me they affected my liver which in turn affected my metabolism and that’s why I wasnt losing weight, but I didn’t listen too much!
Then I discovered Stevia in 2014! I though this it! March 2014 I added it to my baking, my teas, now as an Nurse Practitioner I had it ay my desk, in my purse, and at home. I was using it in my 2 cups of coffee in the morning, and adding to tea at night. At least I was tasting something sweet for once!
Well, I still wasn’t losing weight. Hmmmmmm. Starting checking blood sugar on a glucometer after drinking it in green tea…numbers just a tad high. Went to get blood work, HgbA1c (the number that tracks blood glucose for 3 months) was prediabetic. Not good. Also cortisol ( stress hormone) levels through the roof. What was going on here? Yes I was a bit stressed, but who isnt, but I was off sugar, carbs, dairy, was it the Stevia? Could it be the fake sugars? Coud it be the coffee? Why were my adrenal taxed? Work and life was pretty good..
The answer… Yes! You cannot continue to fake your body out. It knows better. it was causing me to not lose and was causing my sugar to remain high. As soon as I stopped all sugars, the numbers were normal. And as a side note, when I stopped coffee, more weight fell off…more proof that some peoples adrenals are hyper senstitve to caffeine (not all people) I may mention..but in some patients, I do see them lose more weight whem switching from coffee to green tea to nothing caffeine.
Addressing Fake Sugars like Stevia and Splenda and anything ending in -ose on that back of your nutrition label is so important when trying to maintain your weight. I often find when doing an assessment of what my patients are eating throughout the day, they are using these “fakers” as a substiitiute. I am here to tell you from personal experience and now clinical experience fake sugars are not a healthy option. You will also not lose weight with them. You will also stress your adrenal glands out with them. Your liver will suffer. Your metabolism suffers. And any hope you had of not craving sugar anymore, which happens, its real, I promise, is not going to happen if you continue to ingest something that is thousands of times sweeter than real sugar.
Here is why fake sugars make you gain weight from Dr. Mark Hyman:
The study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition discovered some frightening facts that should make us all swear off diet drinks and products.
- Diet sodas raised the risk of diabetes more than sugar-sweetened sodas!
- Women who drank one 12-ounce diet soda had a 33 percent increased risk of type 2 diabetes and women who drank one 20-ounce soda had a 66 percent increased risk.
- Women who drank diet sodas drank twice as much as those who drank sugar- sweetened sodas because artificial sweeteners are more addictive and are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar.
- The average diet soda drinker consumes 3 diet drinks a day.
You might say that people who are overweight and just about to get diabetes drink more diet soda, but they scientifically controlled for body weight. And they found the artificial sweeteners increased diabetes independent of body weight!
This and other research shows how diet sodas make people fat and sick.
And that diet drinks may be even worse than regular sugar sweetened sodas!!
How does that happen?
- Artificial sweeteners are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar activating our genetically programmed preference for sweet taste more than any other substance.
- They trick your metabolism into thinking sugar is on its way. This causes your body to pump out insulin, the fat storage hormone, which lays down more belly fat.
- It also confuses and slows your metabolism down, so you burn less calories every day.
- It makes you hungrier and crave even more sugar and starchy carbs like bread and pasta.
- In animal studies, the rats that consumed artificial sweeteners ate more, their metabolism slowed, and they put on 14 percent more body fat in just two weeks – EVEN eating less calories.
- In population studies there was a 200 percent increased risk of obesity in diet soda drinkers.
So the next question is: Are you saying not to eat sugar? No
I am saying joing the 25 grams of sugar per day club, no more than 25 grams of real sugar per day.
You are going to see results with this. Your metabolism will still work properly. Your liver will be fine. our adrenals will not be stressed. Your blood sugar, weight, cholesterol, and blood pressure numbers will reverse. I see it happen every day in practice, so we know this is working. But do not think you can fake your body out with fake sugar, because your body is the smartest computer that was every invented and it will send you signals to let you know when it is going to crash!
Remember, when you are losing motivation, think back to your Wellness Vision, the things you want for yourself more than ever, and visualize those thoughts coming into reality! Let those feelings, things, and actions help you to regain control!
Have a Great Week!!